Warning: Adult Content

WARNING: ADULT CONTENT



As the author of this blog, I want to warn you that there is some sexual language within these stories. It's not vulgar, nor is it explicit, but if you would be offended by the language in a typical male (or female) locker room, then you should probably leave.


These are romances, therefore, expect romantic situations. Is it PG-18? Probably not, which is why I have not set this blog to ask if you are over age. In all honesty, I think most of these "safe-guards" are a load of crap because we all know that a kid can access whatever they want by lying. If you are a parent and insulted, then I hope that you are keeping healthy tabs on what your kids are reading both online and off. Healthy--like discussing with them what you find appropriate or not for whatever maturity level they are.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Research for Guarding Princess

So, it's no secret that I enjoy doing research for my books and sharing it with others. Had I been thinking about it, I'd have included the research I'd done for Life Goes On  in the print version (reality is that I'd totally forgotten about the research because after about halfway through it was no longer necessary).

Anywho. Here's my list of sources for Guarding Princess (name may change).

Ironically, this first source on basic use of a quarterstaff seems (to be blatantly) geared towards men. Hopefully I'll remember to include them in my acknowledgements especially since I really want to use their techniques and they seem to be unique.

I might be in over my head here: Historical Dance
--Umm...yeah. Did not realize just how specific dancing can be. Alas, looks like to be in any way accurate, for what I want I cannot stick with the ONE ballroom dance I'm kind of comfortable with--the Waltz. Sigh. Luckily, while the dance must be accurate for my taste, I'm not stuck with being historically accurate (yay for made up countries!).

So...never use an adverb to modify the verb said. Given that this is one thing I disliked about Life Goes On (it's a repetitive and dull way to go about things), I'm a bit annoyed that I didn't stumble upon this tip earlier. Granted, variety is necessary, so breaking this rule occasionally is fine. Some authors (ex: Stephen King) say to never venture beyond said. I agree in most cases, but again, you need the variety. Still, it's a very good tip which FORCES a writer to figure out another way to express the feeling of the dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!